Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Novel Idea



I have been cranky for about a week. Last night, I realized the reason. It had been weeks since I had been lost in the world of a novel. Quite accidentally, I happened to start reading Ralph Ellison's "Invisible Man." I have been meaning to read it for 2 years, and I just happened to stumble accross it in the library on Saturday (it's probably the only book we don't own.) Last night, I finished chapter one, and let me tell you - this book's worth every bit of hype.

What I found most interesting is how the opening pages, although written about an African-American rang true for me as a person with a disability. Ellison writes, " I am invisible, simply because people refuse to see me." And then, "I am not complaining, nor am I protesting. It is sometimes advantageous to be unseen, although it is most often rather wearing on the nerves."

No comments: