Monday, February 19, 2007

Little Genius



Yesterday, I was listening to Want Two by Rufus Wainwright. I don't know that much about it, but to my knowledge, these albums (Want One and Two) were written after Wainwright's nearly deadly addiction to crystal meth. I have heard these albums thousands of times. I was thinking of what attracts me so much to Rufus. The song I was really listening to yesterday is I'm embarassed to say, called "Old Whore's Diet." The lyrics are particularly uninteresting. What is interesting is the way in which Wainwright can write a composition. It's hard for me (knowing nothing about music formally) to explain. But, most pop or rock songa have on or two tunes in them. This song has like five tunes in it, The music turns in one direction, then another, then another. Wainwright overlaps violins with the piano. The best part is how he mixes three (or is it four) distinct voices: his own, Antony's, and Martha Wainwright's. I can't even begin to do it justice.

No comments: